Saturday, October 13, 2007

Alive

Today I spent the day in downtown Salt Lake with my friend Stephanie. We had delicious lunch in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building, snuck into a choir practice, went to the Clark Planetarium, and even got lost on some trucker road. Needless to say, I had a really fun time! While Stephanie and I were out she mentioned that I had not posted anything on here recently. So here I am now to say that I am in fact, still alive. The Utah drivers have not gotten me yet. I have been blessed since my last post to have done everything I listed as needing to do. I bought a vehicle. I found a place other than the church history museum to live – which I must say was a good suggestion, so thanks whomever it was that suggested it :), and I am liking my new job more and more.

While Stephanie and I were in the planetarium today I feel like I learned so much!! We got to watch a super cool 3D IMAX too. I left with this desire to google everything when I got home. You can all call me a nerd if you want, but this is for you Stephanie. Answers to some of our most pressing questions:

Q: What is the average age of a star?

A: “Many stars are between 1 billion and 10 billion years old. Some stars may even be close to 13.7 billion years old — the observed age of the universe. The oldest star yet discovered, HE 1523-0901, is an estimated 13.2 billion years old.” - Wikipedia

Q: Which parts of the space shuttle actually make it back to the earth, and which parts fall off where?

A: A yummy way to learn or if you prefer a slightly more advanced explanation

Q: Is Pluto techincally still considered by scientists to be a planet?

A: The word is "no" as of August 2006. However, for New Mexico, the fight for Pluto is not over. Yay! You fight! I don't know how kids will remember the planet names now...My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine... Nine what? I guess maybe, Just Served Us Nothing...?!!?!

Q: 3D movies are the best!! how exactly do they work?

A: “The technique usually involves filming two images simultaneously, with two cameras positioned side by side, generally facing each other and filming at a 90 degree angle via mirrors, in perfect synchronization and with identical technical characteristics. When viewed in such a way that each eye sees its photographed counterpart, the viewer's visual cortex will interpret the pair of images as a single three-dimensional image. Modern computer technology also allows for the production of 3D films without dual cameras.” -
Wikipedia


No comments: